Saturday, October 22, 2016

Memories of 1986




Winter


I remember astronomy class and going somewhere dark and cold at 4 a.m. and still not really able to see Halley’s Comet.


I remember Mr. Parkin telling us casually the space shuttle exploded.
I watched it over and over with morbid fascination.


I remember getting busted for Shit Comics. I remember the scene Barney’s crazy dad made in the principal’s office about how he fought in Vietnam to save America from Lenny Bruce types.


Spring


I remember walking to Driver’s Ed in the crisp high desert morning air of Pocatello. We'd pick up tardy sleepy-head Robert Galloway who lived by Franklin Jr High, and had a habit of running that four way stop at Stanford and Terry. I remember instructor Mr. Thompson puzzled by the lyrics of a Billy Ocean song on the radio. I remember the new car smell of the ‘86 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.


Summer


I remember my trip to San Jose to be with my friend George. I remember the nearby arcade, playing Choplifter, and how fun it was to strafe and kill the men you're supposed to rescue .

I remember my trip to Boston to be with my sisters Courtenay and Adrienne living in the Allston-Brighton neighborhood. I went to a theater nearby and saw Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and hated it. The Twist And Shout parade scene was unforgivably corny and sacrilegious to me. I hate the film to this day.

Fall


I remember all the silliness of initiation during pride week at Poky High. I probably still have my Class of ‘89 beanie somewhere, stained with shaving cream and humiliation. “Spin Sammy Spin” upperclassmen said holding the beanie as you had to twirl underneath to make sure the eggs or whatever mess was thoroughly shampooed into your hair.. The hazing wasn’t as terrifying as I imagined, but probably on par with a hate crime these days.


I remember our family rooting for the Red Sox and watching the games. I don’t remember seeing the Bill Buckner moment.


I can’t remember my 15th birthday. I have no idea what I did.


My favorite TV show was Our World with host Linda Ellerbee.
I didn’t care for any popular music of the time.
I collected comic books.
I didn’t date girls.
I had a crush on Linda Fiorentino from the Gotcha! movie poster

I don’t remember ringing in 1987.

No comments: